This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 63 SW ROPLEY CHURCH STREET
3/17 Church of St Peter 31.7.63 GV II
Parish church. Norman nave (C11) with C12 transepts, C13 chancel with south chapel, C14 timber-framed bell tower inset into the south transept, south porch c1700, north chapel (vestry) of 1846, and north aisle (obliterating the north transept) of 1896. The exterior is mainly of 1896; flint walls with stone and brick dressings, and a tile roof of 3 ridges. The oldest part of the structure is the south wall of the nave, and the south transept, with C14 walling to the south chapel, and these sections contain a C12 doorway, a C15 Perpendicular south door, a C16 window to the nave, and a small C14 window to the chapel; elsewhere the details are Victorian. Interior: generally Victorian, but there are medieval piscinas, a C15 octagonal font, a Royal Coat of Arms with Queen Anne device but later lettering GIII 1791, and a hatchment. Old photographs show that the restoration of 1896 included drastic changes, with the removal of Georgian fittings and a west gallery.
Listing NGR: SU6447031967
© Mrs Jennifer Graham. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Graham, Jennifer
Rights Holder: Graham, Jennifer
Flint, Tile, Timber, Early Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship