Church Of St John The Baptist

Date:
10 Sep 2006
Location:
Church Of St John The Baptist, Church Lane, Croxton Kerrial, Melton, Leicestershire
Reference:
IOE01/15588/14
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SK 8329 CROXTON KERRIAL CHURCH LANE (North side)

40/350 Church of St John the Baptist 1.1.68

GV II*

Parish church. C15, restored 1866-68 by G.G. Scott. Chancel of ironstone; nave, aisles and central tower of limestone. Lead roofs. 3-light intersecting ogeed west window and 2-light aisle west windows. 3-light Perpendicular aisle windows, those to north under triangular heads, a distinction repeated at the aisle east windows, now of 3 lights. 3 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows: panel tracery and triangular heads to both sides. 3 stage central tower supported by diagonal stepped buttresses with a string course between ringing chamber and belfry stage. Single slit lights to former, 3-light cusped windows to the latter. Crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. One 2-light cusped Y tracery chancel south window, and a 3-light C19 east window. Against north chancel a C19 vestry under sloping slate roof. Below east window is wall monument to William Smith 1711: inscription panel framed by entactic fluted pilasters, reeded to base; segmental pediment with winged cherub head. Interior. 3- bay octagonal arcade carrying double chamfered arches with hoods. High bases and polygonal capitals. Crossing piers also of octagonal section with high bases and octagonal capitals. C19 nave roof of tie beams on arched braces to wall posts on corbels. Ridge piece, one pair of purlins and principals, all moulded. Nave has 20 benches with poppyhead carved bench ends, the ends with geometrical and tracery patterns, the poppyheads with allegorical scenes and figures. 5 other bench ends attached to C19 benches, all of late C15. Chancel roof as nave, chancel fittings C19 except for altar rail of c. 1630: turned balusters.

Listing NGR: SK8353229497

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0584 IOE Records taken by Peter Dewar; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Dewar, Peter D.

Rights Holder: Dewar, Peter D.

Keywords

Ironstone, Lead, Limestone, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship