This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS9512 ANGEL HILL, Tiverton 848-1/6/109 The Town Hall 05/12/85
Town hall. 1862-64 by H Lloyd of Bristol. Grey freestone with sandstone dressings, marble columns and ornamental slate roofs. STYLE: Eclectic Free Renaissance. PLAN: asymmetrical. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Grand, richly-detailed, asymmetrical front elevation with a 2 storey canted entrance bay to the right rising as a polygonal turret with a steep polygonal slated roof. A second, square turret at the extreme left is set back from the entrance and has a plainer steep roof; between the turrets the front elevation is stepped back in two bays with semicircular corners with a similar bay to the right of the entrance giving a bow to the Angel Hill facade. The entrance bay is divided by two tiers of marble columns with Corinthian capitals with a segmental pediment at first-floor level. The round-headed doorway has a carved head keystone, the windows are round-headed with keystones and eared lugged architraves. The turret has paired round-headed windows with keystones and a central clock below a round-headed arch. The bays to left and right of the entrance are heavily rusticated with round-headed windows with keystones and eclectic detailing including rusticated pilasters and a decorated parapet. The left-hand turret has rusticated corner pilasters and blind round-headed arches to the first and second floors. Both turrets are crowned by small platforms with decorated iron balustrades and weathervanes. INTERIOR: considerable survival of original features including the stair. HISTORY: the architectural completion for the town hall attracted 60 entries. The final cost of the building was 8,000. (Cunningham). The town hall is on a prominent corner site at the top of Angel Hill and adjacent to the Church of St George (qv). (Cunningham C: Victorian & Edwardian Town Halls: 1981-; The Boulder: 1864-).
Listing NGR: SS9540212482
© Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hooper, Hedley R.
Rights Holder: Hooper, Hedley R.