This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 2778 NW FULHAM ROAD SW3 48/23 15.4.69 No 81 (Michelin House the main part facing the Fulham Road)
1905, extended. 1910. Architect, J Espinasse of Clermont-Ferrand. Two storeys, concrete and brick construction faced with glazed terra-cotta. Three bay front, the ground floor divided by ornamental piers, with ornamental ironwork below lintels.
Ornamental cornice over. Large round arched central window with shaped gable over with tyre models as kneelers. Windows to right and left with rectangular heads beneath ornamental panels decorated with wheels and foliage. Small octagonal corner turrets to full height but with some red brick. Left hand return of 9 bays, right hand of 5, with further, simpler windows behind. Return sides continued in similar style. Segmental and square headed windows on ground floor. First floor windows flat headed with words "Michelin Tyre Company Limited Bibendum" over. Ends with windows between piers; ornamental frieze between storeys. Open segmental pediments at intervals with inset faience tyres. The material is Bermentofts Marmo facing. Series of pictorial tile panels on the side elevations (ground floor) and inside the drive-in by Gilardoni Fils of Paris. The panels represent the racing successes of cars with Michelin tyres between 1900 and 1908, and in the fitting bay Edward VII and Prince George in their Michelin type fitted car.
Listing NGR: TQ2722478735
© Mr Adam Watson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Watson, Adam
Rights Holder: Watson, Adam
Brick, Concrete, Terracotta, Tile, Victorian Office, Unassigned, Building