This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SE33SW MIDDLETON ROAD 714-1/11/251 (East side) Scott's Almshouses, Nos.8, 9 and 10
Row of 3 almshouses. Dated 1896. By John E Leake. Red brick, stone dressings, slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Ground-floor 2-, 3- and 2-light mullion and transom square bay windows, continuous parapet overall, and short stone columns in antis at entrances. Glazed doors with overlights. Upper floor: cross-windows with gabled pediments, moulded copings, ball and vase finials. 3 tall banded stacks: rear of ridge right, forward of ridge centre, and far right. Right return: 3-light stone bay window, carved plaque with segmental pediment above, raised lettering: 'TRUSTEES/ SAMUEL SCOTT STANLEY/JOSEPH GALE GEORGE MELLEN/ REVD.CANNON THOMPSON/ ROBERT G EMSLEY/ JOHN E. LEAKE ARCHITECT'. INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: SE3150630446
© Mr Dennis Carr. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Carr, Dennis
Rights Holder: Carr, Dennis
Brick, Slate, Stone, Victorian Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument