The view from St Mary's Church tower in Putney looking across the river Thames towards Fulham showing the construction of the new Putney Bridge along the line of the former aqueduct (to the left) with the aqueduct pipes diverted alongside the old bridge (to the right)

Date:
1884
Location:
Old Putney Bridge, Putney, Wandsworth, Greater London Authority, SW15
Show all locations
Fulham Bridge, Putney, Wandsworth, Greater London Authority, SW15
Old Putney Bridge, Fulham, Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London Authority, SW6
Fulham Bridge, Fulham, Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London Authority, SW6
Reference:
OFH01/01/01/F02/04
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Putney Bridge, also known as Fulham Bridge, dated from 1729. It was badly damaged by a river barge in 1870. Despite repairs, its days were numbered and in 1880 work began on a replacement. In this view, a temporary aqueduct has been completed and the old aqueduct is being removed too act as a tramway for the cranes used during construction of the new bridge. Shortly after completion of the new crossing in 1886, the old bridge, seen here to the extreme right, was demolished.

This is a copy of OFH01/01/01/F02/03 made by Webster.

Content

This is part of the Sub Series: OFH01/01/01 Negatives taken by William Field; within the Series: OFH01/01 Negatives originating from William Field; within the Collection: OFH01 Douglas Harrod, E P Olney and William Field Collection

Rights

Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Field, William O

Creator of Archive: Webster

Keywords

Georgian Bridge, Aqueduct, Construction, Engineering, Waterscape