The north end of the old Putney Bridge with the Fulham toll house in the centre of the view and 'Willow Bank' house beside the Thames to the right

Date:
1881
Location:
Old Putney Bridge, Fulham, Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London Authority, SW6
Show all locations
Fulham Bridge, Fulham, Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London Authority, SW6
Old Putney Bridge, Toll House, Fulham, Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London Authority, SW6
Reference:
OFH01/01/01/F02/15
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This bridge, also known as Fulham Bridge, dated from 1729. It was badly damaged by a river barge in 1870. It was repaired but its days were numbered and in 1880 work began on a replacement. Shortly after completion of the new crossing in 1886, the old bridge and toll house, seen here, were demolished.

Content

This is part of the Sub Series: OFH01/01/01 Negatives taken by William Field; within the Series: OFH01/01 Negatives originating from William Field; within the Collection: OFH01 Douglas Harrod, E P Olney and William Field Collection

Rights

Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Field, William O

Keywords

Georgian Toll Bridge, Georgian Bridge, Toll House, Waterscape