Winestead Hall, also known locally as Red Hall, was commissioned in the 1720s by Sir Robert Hildyard, 2nd Baronet and comprised two blocks adjoined by a corridor, the main block being three-storeys high and five bays wide and of symmetrical composition. The house had ten bedrooms, a drawing room (here pictured), a library and a morning room. References have been found online to the decor of the house, the drawing room here pictured, as the other ground floor rooms, were painted pale green with white plaster decoration.
The house was sold by the Hildyard family in the 1890s, and then by the Hull Corporation who demolised it in 1936 to make way for Winestead Hospital. All that remains is the former stable block by John Carr of York, now in use as part of the hospital.
The print is mounted on what appears to be a card page from a photograph album, and the reverse notes that the the prints were donated via Rupert Hildyard, likely a relation to the Hildyard family who owned the Hall. The image was probably taken to commemorate the house before its sale in the 1890s.
Source: Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Donor: Hildyard, Rupert
Drawing Room, Georgian Country House