Volume: Wrest Park, Silsoe, Bedfordshire

1 Jan 1924 - 31 Oct 2011
Wrest Park, Silsoe, Wrest Park, Central Bedfordshire
Volume containing Graphic, Electronic, Textual and Miscellaneous material
Placeholder image for archive collection
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


615 drawings relating to the maintenance, management and interpretation of Wrest Park and its associated sites.

The earliest sheets are Ordnance Survey maps showing the house and gardens from 1924. From the 1940s and 1950s there are plans of the house, grounds and buildings including the Archer Pavilion, the Orangery and the Bowling Green House. There are also site plans showing work required to paths and hedges, and stone edging to the flower beds.

From the 1960s, there are drawings showing existing drainage, doors and joinery for the Archer Pavilion and stone paving for the Orangery, a survey of the Hermitage, including details of the floor and ceiling of the bath chamber, details of ornamental vases, and drawings showing repairs to the stone coping of the Chinese Bridge and stonework for the East Half-House. There are some publication plans of the house and gardens made between 1963 and 1972.

A large number of drawings from 1967 to 1996 relate to buildings in the National Institute for Agricultural Engineering (later the AFRC Institute of Engineering Research and the Silsoe Research Institute), in the Wrest Park grounds.

Other 1970s drawings include sheets showing drainage to the area around the Archer Pavilion, and surveys of Long Water, weirs, sluices and the drainage scheme. There are floor and roof plans of the house, drawings of the shell fountain as existing and reconstructed, proposed repairs to the roof balustrade of Bowling Green House, and repairs and construction work to the Chinese Temple. There are also deed plans made between 1975 and 1985.

From the 1980s and 1990s there are details of a sundial base plate and gnomon, and the roof ornament of the Chinese Temple. Other sheets show electrical services to the Orangery, and plans of the gardens and lakes.

There are a number of survey sheets, including topographical surveys of the site from 1977 and of the gardens from between 1991 and 1993. There is a tree planting survey from 1993 and other 1990s surveys of the Bowling Green House, Ceres Gate and the Archer Pavilion.

The most recent sheets are from the early years of the twenty-first century and include photogrammetric surveys of the Archer Pavilion, rectified photography of the old park weir and spillway, and a survey of the mansion from 2012.


This is part of the Series: EHC01/022 English Heritage Plans and Measured Drawings; within the Collection: EHC01 English Heritage(EH):Archive

This Volume is divided into 35 Jobs and 131 Child Records
This Volume contains the following materials:
Drawing: 1
Excavation Plan: 2
Location Map/Plan: 1
Map: 12
Measured Drawing: 512
Measured Survey: 34
Photogrammetric Survey: 27
Rectified Photography: 11
Sketch: 3
Sketch Plan: 5
Photograph (Digital): 8
Correspondence: 1
List: 2
Typescript: 1
Table: 2


© Crown Copyright. Historic England Archive

© Historic England Archive

Contact Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Creator of Archive: Briggs And Forrester

Creator of Archive: Bst (Brian S Thomas Ltd)

Creator of Archive: Sdc (Survey, Design And Construction Ltd)

Creator of Archive: The Charter Building Design Group

Creator of Archive: Silsoe Research Institute

Creator of Archive: National Institute Of Agricultural Engineering

Creator of Archive: Harris, G B

Creator of Archive: Bevis, S C

Creator of Archive: Ferguson, Peter

Creator of Archive: Gutteridge, M W

Creator of Archive: Ralph, P R

Creator of Archive: Cousins Electrical Ltd

Creator of Archive: Department Of The Environment

Creator of Archive: Ministry Of Public Building And Works

Creator of Archive: Ministry Of Works

Creator of Archive: Aqua

Creator of Archive: Office Of Works

Creator of Archive: English Heritage

Creator of Archive: Feilden And Mawson

Creator of Archive: He (Hills Electrical)

Creator of Archive: Afrc Institute Of Engineering Research


Research Institute, Hanoverian Country House