The Disposal of Heritage Assets
Guidance note for government departments and non-departmental public bodies
The guidance applies across central government, including departments, executive agencies and the non-departmental public bodies for which they are responsible. Although not mandatory beyond central government, it provides the elements of best practice for the public sector as a whole, including local authorities, health trusts, public corporations and the police.
Hard copies of this guidance can be obtained from the Government Historic Estates Unit free of charge, please contact GHEU@HistoricEngland.org.uk.
- Identifying heritage assets
- Alternatives to be considered prior to disposal
- Partnerships with the private sector
- Safeguarding heritage assets pending disposal
- The planning policy framework
- The conservation policy framework
- Methods of disposal
- Managing the disposal process
- Series: Guidance
- Publication Status: Completed
If you require an alternative, accessible version of this document (for instance in audio, Braille or large print) please contact us:
Customer Service Department
Telephone: 0370 333 0607
Fax: 01793 414926
Textphone: 0800 015 0516
Also of interest...
The Government Historic Estates Unit (GHEU) advises government departments and other public bodies about how to look after their historic assets.