BESTWOOD PUMPING STATION
- Heritage Category:
- Park and Garden
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1001333.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Jan-2021 at 07:16:26.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Gedling (District Authority)
- Bestwood St. Albans
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 57937 48243
The grounds of a pumping station, laid out in 1871.
Founded by the Nottingham Waterworks Company in 1871, Bestwood Pumping Station is one of three late C19 stations which served Nottingham. The land was owned by the Duke of St Albans who had recently completed the building of nearby Bestwood Lodge, and the design of the station had to meet with his approval. The grounds surrounding Bestwood were therefore laid out to a careful design with the buildings and cooling ponds arranged for ornamental effect. No longer an active pumping station, the present owners (2000), Severn Trent Water, are considering a change of use for the site.
LOCATION, AREA, BOUNDARIES, LANDFORM, SETTING The grounds of Bestwood Pumping Station cover c 2ha and are located on the west side of the Mansfield Road (A60), c 4km beyond the northern edge of the city of Nottingham. The site is surrounded on the north, east, and south sides by boundary walls (listed grade II) of coursed and squared rubble with steeply gabled coping. Between the east wall and the A60 is a broad ditch. The site is cut into the hillside which rises to the west, the top of the resultant steep bank along the western edge of the property being planted with specimen trees.
ENTRANCES AND APPROACHES Lodges are situated at either end of the rectangular site on the A60: East Lodge (listed grade II) towards the south-east corner and West Lodge (listed grade II) towards the north. Both buildings date from 1871 and formed part of the original layout. West Lodge is accompanied by a set of cast-iron double gates set between ashlar piers and flanked by a pair of wicket gates. A second gateway in the boundary wall stands by East Lodge, and the drive running round the west of the main station building links the two.
PRINCIPAL BUILDING The main station building (listed grade II, 1871) was probably designed by Thomas Hawksley. It stands in the centre of the site a little offset towards the western boundary and is surrounded by an area of hardstanding.
OTHER LAND To the south of the station building is the cooling pond (listed grade II), constructed in 1871. It has an informal outline, with an island at its southern end. A broad walk runs round the pond, screened from the public road by a band of planting. This links with a path through the patch of woodland at the northern end of the site. A number of cast-iron gas lamps (listed grade II) light the site, two at the edge of the pond and others near East Lodge, West Lodge, and the boiler house. All were part of the original landscaping.
A late C20 chlorination plant has been built to the west of West Lodge.
Country Life, no 21 (21 May 1992), pp 66/9; no 28 (9 July 1992), p 78
Description written: March 2000 Register Inspector: EMP Edited: January 2002
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
- Parks and Gardens
This garden or other land is registered under the Historic Buildings and Ancient Monuments Act 1953 within the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens by Historic England for its special historic interest.
End of official listing