Mound 1200yds (1100m) NNE of the Church
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1001721
Date first listed: 24-Aug-1935
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1001721 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 11:25:25.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SO 37237 68101
Ringwork 430m WSW of Upper Woodbatch Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Ringworks are medieval fortifications built and occupied from the late Anglo-Saxon period to the later 12th century. They comprised a small defended area containing buildings which was surrounded or partly surrounded by a substantial ditch and a bank surmounted by a timber palisade or, rarely, a stone wall. Occasionally a more lightly defended embanked enclosure, the bailey, adjoined the ringwork. Ringworks acted as strongholds for military operations and in some cases as defended aristocratic or manorial settlements. They are rare nationally with only 200 recorded examples and less than 60 with baileys. As such, and as one of a limited number and very restricted range of Anglo-Saxon and Norman fortifications, ringworks are of particular significance to our understanding of the period.
The ringwork 430m WSW of Upper Woodbatch Farm survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, function, longevity, social, political, economic and strategic significance, domestic arrangements, abandonment and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 26 May 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a ringwork situated on the eastern steeply sloping valley side of the Lime Brook immediately south of a small tributary to it. The ringwork survives as a small roughly circular enclosure on the summit of a circular mound measuring up to 38m in diameter and 3.5m high surrounded by a ditch which is dry except on the northern side where the stream flows through it. The interior of the enclosure is somewhat irregular in profile and slightly depressed and is accessed by a slanting causeway to the south. A small enclosure to the east was sometimes described as a possible bailey but is now widely thought to be a natural feature. It is known locally as ‘The Churchyard’ and has been variously identified as a motte or motte and bailey castle, a barrow, an enclosure or as seems most likely a small ringwork.
Other similar archaeological remains in the vicinity are the subject of a separate scheduling.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: HE 109
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape 106353, Herefordshire SMR 1666
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing