Two bowl barrows 250m west of Silverwell Farm

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1001730

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1975

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Two bowl barrows 250m west of Silverwell Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1001730 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 04:36:37.

Location

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Constantine

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wendron

National Grid Reference: SW 73025 33193, SW 73071 33232

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite reduction in the heights of the mounds through past cultivation, the two bowl barrows 250m west of Silverwell Farm survive well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their construction, relative chronologies, territorial significance, social organisation, ritual and funerary practices and overall landscape context.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument, which falls into two areas of protection, includes two bowl barrows situated on the summit of a ridge, overlooking the valley of a tributary to the river leading to Polwheveral Creek. The barrows survive as circular mounds surrounded by buried quarry ditches, from which the construction material was derived. The north eastern barrow measures approximately 24m in diameter and 1.1m high. The south western barrow is 20m in diameter and 0.4m high with a central protruding stone slab which may represent part of a cist. Some stones removed during field clearance have been placed on this stone. First depicted on the 1907 Ordnance Survey map, they were described by Henderson in 1937 who said they lay on either side of the 'Old Dead Lane' or Ridgeway which divided the parishes of Wendron and Constantine.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-427744

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: CO 976

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

End of official listing