This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Stumbletts Furnace, 360m south-east of Twyford House

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Stumbletts Furnace, 360m south-east of Twyford House

List entry Number: 1002202

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Danehill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 25-Apr-1977

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: ES 443

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Iron has been produced in England from at least 500 BC. The iron industry, spurred on by a succession of technological developments, has played a major part in the history of the country, its production and overall importance peaking with the Industrial Revolution. Iron ores occur in a variety of forms across England, giving rise to several different extraction techniques and structures. Ore was originally smelted into iron in small, relatively low-temperature furnaces known as bloomeries. These were replaced from the 16th century by blast furnaces, which were larger and operated at a higher temperature to produce molten metal for cast iron. Cast iron is brittle, and to convert it into malleable wrought iron or steel it needs to be remelted. This was originally conducted in an open hearth in a finery forge, but technological developments, especially with steel production, gave rise to more sophisticated types of furnaces. Despite partial damage by soil removal in the past, Stumbletts Furnace survives well. It is a short-lived early blast furnace site that has been largely undisturbed and as such holds a high degree of archaeological potential. The furnace is well recorded in documentary sources, which enhance its value.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the site of a 16th century blast furnace, dam and slag heaps surviving as earthworks and below-ground archaeological remains. It is situated at the bottom of a stream valley, west of Stumblewood Common in the High Weald. The earthen dam is orientated north-west to south-east across the foot of the valley. It is approximately 60m long and up to 3m high and has been breached in two places. A bank projects at a right-angle from the dam to protect the iron working area. The site of the furnace, indicated by a depression in the ground and slag heaps, is just south of the stream. There is an overspill channel at the north end of the dam. Stumbletts Furnace was built in 1534 on land owned by the Duchy of Lancaster. It was first let to John Levett and then managed by William Levett, the Buxted ordnance maker. It was leased with a steel forge in 1549 to Thomas Gaveller and Francis Challer. The furnace reverted to John Gage in 1554 and was transferred by him to the crown before falling out of use in around 1570. The site may have been re-used as Vinolds Corn-mill in the late 16th century. The monument excludes all modern fences and fence posts, gates and gate posts, but the ground beneath these features is included.

Sources: East Sussex HER MES3019. NMR TQ33SE22. PastScape 403536. Crossley, D. 1991. English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme. Industrial Monuments: The Iron and Steel Industries. Step 3 report. Version O (Site Assessment 70). 2008. Wealden Iron Research Group. Iron Site Database. www.wirg.data.org [accessed 27-MAY-2009]

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 39939 30631

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002202 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 08:05:20.

End of official listing