Lewes Town Wall, section called The Green Wall
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Lewes Town Wall, section called The Green Wall
List entry Number: 1002249
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
County: East Sussex
District Type: District Authority
National Park: SOUTH DOWNS
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 23-Jan-1973
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: ES 380
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
A length of the medieval town wall of Lewes, 54m north of Eastgate Baptist Church.
Reasons for Designation
Between the Roman and post-medieval periods a large number of English Towns were provided with defences. Construction of these reached its peak in around 1300 although many were then maintained for many centuries thereafter. The defences could take the form of earthen banks, ditches or masonry walls or a combination of all three. They were constructed to mark the limits of the town or its intended size and could be used to defend the town in times of trouble. Their symbolic role in marking out the settlement and its importance was also significant and thus many defensive circuits included well built and visually impressive water-filled moats, walls and gateways. In the medieval period the development of towns was closely associated with major landowners and many towns were deliberately established next to major castles so that their lordly owners could influence and gain from the important market, trade and other functions of the developing urban centres. The length of the medieval town wall of Lewes, 54m north of Eastgate Baptist Church survives well and will retain evidence of its construction. As a monument accessible to the public, the town wall forms an important educational and recreational resource.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 4 September 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a length of the medieval town wall of Lewes known as the ‘Green Wall’. It is situated east of Waterloo Place on the north-east side of Lewes old town and carries a footpath. It survives as upstanding stone remains and below-ground archaeological remains. The upstanding wall is constructed of flint on top of an earthen bank and runs for a distance of about 32m.
The medieval town wall of Lewes was constructed in about 1267 and there was a further grant for murage, tax levied for the upkeep of the wall, in 1334. The wall is shown on Sussex OS maps (1:2500) of 1875, 1899, 1910 and 1932 when it ran considerably further northwards.
NMR TQ41SW2. PastScape 406490.,
National Grid Reference: TQ 41744 10389
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002249 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 06:44:29.
End of official listing