Lee Moor Tramway Bridge

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1002637

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1900

Map

Ordnance survey map of Lee Moor Tramway Bridge
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002637 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 12:46:29.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SX5199756835

Summary

A 19th century tramway bridge adjacent to Weighbridge Cottage.

Reasons for Designation

This tramway bridge originally formed part of an industrial tramway system across Lee Moor. It was connected with a nearby keeper’s cottage, also known as the Weighbridge Cottage. The bridge was constructed from cast iron and timber, one of the newest innovations to the industrialisation of the transport network of the Industrial Revolution which enabled the redistribution of raw materials and finished products on a massive scale.

History

See Details.

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 15 October 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument includes a 19th century tramway bridge which crosses the River Plym and formed part of the Marsh Mills tramway. The bridge survives as an iron girder bridge with two arches and a single central support carrying a timber roadway with rails and a railing parapet. The tramway was opened in 1830 and operated until 1900.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: PY 924

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:-438447

End of official listing