The Conduit Cross
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: The Conduit Cross
List entry Number: 1002673
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: West Dorset
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 15-Oct-1924
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: DO 7
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Part of Sherborne Abbey cloister known as The Conduit.
Reasons for Designation
The part of Sherborne Abbey cloister known as The Conduit survives well and has had several phases of re-use. It serves as an upstanding reminder of the important architecture associated with Sherborne Abbey.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 15 December 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes part of Sherborne Abbey cloister situated in Cheap Street, Sherborne. The Conduit survives as a freestanding hexagonal building with moulded string and parapet coping, a vaulted roof, buttresses at the angles and original arched door and window openings with some tracery. The decorated vaulted roof has foliate bosses and in the centre is the shield of arms of the abbey supported by angels. Five sides allow access to pedestrians and a modern water fountain is situated on the eastern side. It was built in the northern alley of the abbey cloister by Albert Mere in 1504-35. It was moved to its current position in 1560 and has been subsequently restored. Hutchins in the 19th century described a short cross on its top, which has since been removed. In 1834 it was glazed, a door inserted and it was used as a reading room. For a while it was re-used as a police station and in 1861 as a penny bank.
The Conduit is Listed Grade I.
PastScape Monument No:-887399
National Grid Reference: ST 63888 16515
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002673 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 10:59:51.
End of official listing