St Leonard's Chapel
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: St Leonard's Chapel
List entry Number: 1002726
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: North Dorset
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Blandford Forum
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 04-Dec-1951
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: DO 152
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Medieval chapel called St Leonard’s Chapel.
Reasons for Designation
A medieval hospital was a religious or secular institution which provided spiritual and medical care. Half of the hospitals were suppressed by 1539 as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries. A small number of hospitals were established solely for the treatment of leprosy. These leper houses were specifically located and arranged to deal with contagious disease. Their main aim was to provide the sufferer with permanent isolation from society. In contrast to other hospitals they were normally located away from population foci. The medieval chapel called St Leonard’s Chapel formed part of such a hospital. The chapel contained a range of furnishings and fittings appropriate for Christian worship in the pre-Reformation period. The chapel was designed for congregational worship and was probably originally divided into two main parts: the nave, which provided accommodation for the laity, and the chancel, which was the main domain of the priest and contained the principal altar. Chapels were often abandoned as their communities and supporting finances declined or disappeared after the Dissolution in the 1540s.
Despite subsequent re-use as a barn and restoration the chapel will retain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction and specific use as a chapel within a leper hospital.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 17 December 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a medieval chapel situated on the south eastern side of Blandford Forum. The chapel survives as a small restored rectangular stone and brick built building standing to full height with a replacement roof and modern strengthening buttresses. There are original traceried windows and moulded pointed doorways. The building dates to the 15th century and was originally associated with St Leonard’s Hospital for lepers founded in 1282. The chapel is Listed Grade II.
PastScape Monument No:-205440
National Grid Reference: ST 89074 06474
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002726 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2018 at 02:59:03.
End of official listing