Chapel W of Manor Farm
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1002857
Date first listed: 03-Jan-1961
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002857 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 22:53:39.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: North Dorset (District Authority)
Parish: Stourton Caundle
National Grid Reference: ST 71328 14929
Medieval chapel 100m west of Manor Farm.
Reasons for Designation
A medieval chapel is a building, usually rectangular, containing a range of furnishings and fittings appropriate for Christian worship in the pre- Reformation period. Chapels were designed for congregational worship and were generally divided into two main parts: the nave, which provided accommodation for the laity, and the chancel, which was the main domain of the priest and contained the principal altar. Around 4000 parochial chapels were built between the 12th and 17th centuries as subsidiary places of worship built for the convenience of parishioners who lived at a distance from the main parish church. Other chapels were built as private places of worship by manorial lords and lie near or within manor houses, castles or other high-status residences. Chapels, like parish churches, have always been major features of the landscape. Abandoned chapels retain important information about the nature and date of their use up to their abandonment.
Despite adaptive re-use the medieval chapel 100m west of Manor Farm survives comparatively well and retains both original features and dated graffiti.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 28 January 2016. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a medieval chapel situated on the western side of the settlement of Stourton Caundle on the southern bank of a tributary to the Caundle Brook. The chapel survives as a small rectangular roofed building standing to full height which has been subject to some restoration. The 13th century nave stands as a gabled building beneath a restored part stone-slated and part tiled roof. The south face has a single lancet window and a 19th century door; the north face has a single lancet window with a trefoil arch and an arched doorway; part of the south wall, the east wall and the roof were restored in the 19th century. Within the interior on the northern window and door frames is some graffiti dated to 1694 and 1697. In 1789 Hutchins described it as having a nave and chancel with lancet windows on each side beneath a wagon roof. It is believed to have been built as a private chapel belonging to a manor.
Situated in a farmyard and now in use as a barn, a range of more recent barns and farm buildings have been added to the east and north sides which are not included in the scheduling.
The chapel is Listed Grade II*.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: DO 476
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:-202267
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing