Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1002903
Date first listed: 05-Oct-1925
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1002903 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 13:00:58.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish: Wallington Demesne
National Grid Reference: NZ 03355 83909
Wallington Bridge, 600m SE of Wallington Hall.
Reasons for Designation
Multi span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed throughout the medieval and early post-medieval period for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. During the early medieval period timber was used, but from the 12th century stone (and later brick) bridges became more common, with the piers sometimes supported by a timber raft. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. The roadway was often originally cobbled or gravelled.
Wallington Bridge survives in excellent condition. Despite the addition of a modern road surface the bridge survives largely unaltered. Beneath the current road surface archaeological evidence of the structure of the bridge survives in good condition and will contain evidence on the original construction and subsequent maintenance of the bridge.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 11 May 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a bridge of 18th century date, which carries the B6342 over the River Wansbeck. The bridge is constructed from honey-coloured ashlar masonry with neat vertical tooling. The bridge has a central segmental river arch spanning 12m, flanked on either side by semi-circular headed flood arches 3.27m wide. It has triangular cutwaters with moulded caps, square piers and a balustraded parapet on a dentilled cornice. Beyond the outer piers wing walls sweep outwards. The bridge was constructed to carry the turnpike road from Hexham to Alnmouth over the River Wansbeck and lies upon the main approach to Wallington Hall. It was designed by James Paine for the Blackett family and was constructed in 1755.
The bridge is a listed building Grade I and is also within the Wallington Registered Park and Garden.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: ND 14
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 21167
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing