Roman villa N of Dunnock's Lane
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1003029
Date first listed: 23-Oct-1954
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003029 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 13:59:25.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish: East Coker
National Grid Reference: ST 54604 13755
Minor Romano British villa 230m north west of Patchlake Cottages.
Reasons for Designation
Romano-British villas were extensive rural estates with groups of domestic, agricultural and occasionally industrial buildings at the focus. The term "villa" is now commonly used to describe either the estate or the buildings themselves. The buildings usually include a well-appointed dwelling house, the design of which varies considerably according to the needs, taste and prosperity of the occupier. Most of the houses were partly or wholly stone-built, many with a timber-framed superstructure on masonry footings. Roofs were generally tiled and the house could feature tiled or mosaic floors, under-floor heating, wall plaster, glazed windows and cellars. Many had integral or separate suites of heated baths. The house was usually accompanied by a range of buildings providing accommodation for farm labourers, workshops and storage for agricultural produce. These were arranged around or alongside a courtyard and were surrounded by a complex of paddocks, pens, yards and features such as vegetable plots, granaries, threshing floors, wells and hearths, all approached by tracks leading from the surrounding fields. Villa buildings were constructed throughout the period of Roman occupation, from the first to the fourth centuries AD. They are usually complex structures occupied over several hundred years and continually remodelled to fit changing circumstances. They could serve a wide variety of uses alongside agricultural activities, including administrative, recreational and craft functions, and this is reflected in the considerable diversity in their plan. The least elaborate villas served as simple farmhouses whilst, for the most complex, the term "palace" is not inappropriate. Villa owners tended to be drawn from a limited elite section of Romano-British society. Although some villas belonged to immigrant Roman officials or entrepreneurs, the majority seem to have been in the hands of wealthy natives with a more-or-less Romanised lifestyle, and some were built directly on the sites of Iron Age farmsteads. Roman villa buildings are widespread, with between 400 and 1000 examples recorded nationally. The majority of these are classified as `minor' villas. Minor villas are found throughout lowland Britain and occasionally beyond. Roman villas provide a valuable index of the rate, extent and degree to which native British society became Romanised, as well as indicating the sources of inspiration behind changes of taste and custom. In addition, they serve to illustrate the agrarian and economic history of the Roman province, allowing comparisons over wide areas both within and beyond Britain. The minor Romano British villa 230m north west of Patchlake Cottages will contain further archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, longevity, social, political and economic significance, agricultural practices, trade, industrial activity, domestic arrangements, abandonment and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 13 August 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a minor Romano British villa situated on a gently south facing slope to the north of Dunnock’s Lane and south of the outskirts of the present settlement of Yeovil. The villa survives as predominantly buried structures, layers and deposits with a single 2m high lynchet visible as surface remains. The villa was discovered in 1753 in a field called ‘Chesil’ or ‘Chessels’ near a good spring of water. Several rooms were identified, together with a figured mosaic over a hypocaust and a geometric design mosaic. Finds included bricks, tiles, iron objects and some burnt bones. Further partial excavations in 1818 or 1820 produced foundations, hypocausts, painted wall plaster, tiles, pottery, coins and additional figured and geometric mosaics. In 1919 tile and pottery fragments and several tesserae were found as surface finds in close proximity to herring-bone pattern walling.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: SO 279
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:-196215
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing