Remains of tower in Victoria Avenue
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1003714.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 11:26:10.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 48702 12665
Part of a terminal tower forming the medieval city defences of Shrewsbury 210m WSW of Welsh Bridge.
Reasons for Designation
City defences have a mixed survival because of subsequent growth of urban areas and redevelopment. In the case of the part of a terminal tower forming the medieval city defences of Shrewsbury 210m WSW of Welsh Bridge, although buried its archaeological integrity is preserved beneath the current ground surface and it will retain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, strategic, economic and political significance, maintenance, longevity, abandonment and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 17 June 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records. As such they do not yet have the full descriptions of their modernised counterparts available. Please contact us if you would like further information.
This monument includes part of a terminal tower from the medieval city defences of Shrewsbury situated in Victoria Avenue overlooking the River Severn as it meanders around the northern side of the old city. The tower was discovered in 1911 during road works to construct Victoria Avenue. It survives as entirely buried structures and deposits beneath the surface and its location is depicted by an arc of stones set in the tarmac, part also lies within the school grounds but is not included in the scheduling. When originally discovered the wall of the circular tower was found to measure approximately 0.9m thick, stood 1.9m high and the tower had a diameter of 5.7m. It was built during the reign of Edward I as part of the ‘New Work’ city defences and its purpose was to control a natural ford downstream of the current Welsh Bridge. Having continued to be an important landmark of the city and mentioned in many documentary references it was largely dismantled in around 1797.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- SA 211
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
Shropshire HER 01096 and 01459
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing