This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Part of the mining complex at South Condurrow and Wheal Grenville Mines, 410m south west of Newton Moor Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Part of the mining complex at South Condurrow and Wheal Grenville Mines, 410m south west of Newton Moor Farm

List entry Number: 1004246

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Camborne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 26-Feb-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: CO 874

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Tin and copper mining were of immense value to Cornwall, in terms of its economy, social and political development and the effects on the population. The dependence on technology for deep mining ventures produced some of the most characteristic buildings, tall elegant and distinctive with their associated chimneys they are strongly associated with the Cornish landscape still. The importance of these buildings, the surface 'tip of the iceberg' in terms of physical remains related to this vital and important industry most of which is hidden form view beneath the surface provides a visible focus for this important element of Cornwall's past which influenced not only local but world history with migrations of both the mining technology and the miners. This also includes the surface 'dressing' which the raw ore needed to undergo including crushing and washing which all formed part of this integrated process. The part of the mining complex at South Condurrow and Wheal Grenville Mines 410m south west of Newton Moor Farm survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental and chemical evidence relating to the development of this vital industry in the area.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes part of the mining complex at South Condurrow and Wheal Grenville Mines, situated to the south east of Camborne and north of Troon. The visible surviving surface structures include an engine house; stamps to the south west and north east of the engine house; a fly-wheel pit between the stamps; and the boiler house. The engine house survives as a roofless rectangular-plan stone building measuring 8.37m long, 6.7m wide and 12m high with a tapering cylindrical chimney topped with brick at the south east corner. The building has a bob wall to the north, round headed windows and doorways. Built in about 1891, it housed a 30inch cylinder double-acting engine for pumping and powering the associated stamping machinery. The associated boiler house survives as a surface depression measuring 16.2m by 15m. The loading area contains a condenser pit, crank pit and slots for flywheels and is located to the front of the engine house. It measures 9.2m by 9m and up to 4.4m high. The engine house is Listed Grade II (66624).

The stamping machinery was one of the developments associated with the sinking of the nearby Fortescue's Shaft (see CO873). The new stamps included 112 head of stamps and two rock crushers. The plant was extended to 136 stamps and an incline with a winding engine were constructed to link it to Fortescue's Shaft in 1892. It was further extended in 1893 and 1894, but went out of use when the mine closed in 1920.

The earliest mine workings in the area were called Poling and are recorded in the 1790's. Wheal Grenville Mine produced both tin and copper and first operated in 1845. By 1906, following amalgamation with South Condurrow and part of West Wheal Frances, it became Grenville United Mines. This was taken over by Condurrow Mines Ltd in 1910, and the mine finally closed in 1920. Between the years 1860 and 1920 the mine produced 30824 tons of black tin and 2329 tons of copper.

Further archaeological remains survive in the vicinity some of which are scheduled separately.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-1473351 and 425781

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 66654 38575

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004246 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 08:57:00.

End of official listing