Part of the mining complex at Wheal Peevor


Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004247.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2021 at 17:57:09.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SW 70723 44205

Reasons for Designation

Tin and copper mining were of immense value to Cornwall, in terms of its economy, social and political development and the effects on the population. The dependence on technology for deep mining ventures produced some of the most characteristic buildings, tall elegant and distinctive with their associated chimneys they are strongly associated with the Cornish landscape still. The importance of these buildings, the surface 'tip of the iceberg' in terms of physical remains related to this vital and important industry most of which is hidden form view beneath the surface provides a visible focus for this important element of Cornwall's past which influenced not only local but world history with migrations of both the mining technology and the miners. This also includes the surface 'dressing' which the raw ore needed to undergo including crushing and washing and calcining in the case of arsenic which all formed part of this integrated process. The part of the mining complex at Wheal Peevor survives well and it is possible to understand the entire surface processes associated with this highly productive and important mine. It will contain archaeological, environmental and chemical evidence associated with the development of technology and economic production of these valuable minerals.


The monument includes part of the mining complex at Wheal Peevor, situated at the western end of North Downs, to the north of Redruth. Wheal Peevor has a long history, with a particularly concentrated phase of activity between the years 1872 and 1887 when it worked for copper, tin and pyrite. Most of the substantial visible surviving surface remains date to this period. The surviving structures include three engine houses with chimneys for winding, pumping and stamping with associated boiler houses; the capstan to a winder; stamps and two Brunton calciners for arsenic production; processing floors; settling tanks; buddles; blacksmith's stores; workshops; fitting shops; and ancillary structures.

Begun as a copper mine, by 1790 it was part of Great North Downs Mine. It reopened in 1872 as a separate mining concern, primarily for tin. It was eventually abandoned by 1887. In 1912 an attempt was made to modernize and re-open the mine and also to extract wolfram but it had closed again by 1918. A further failed re-opening took place in 1938. Although small, the mine was extremely rich. Between the years 1872 and 1889 it produced 3280 tons of black tin, five tons of copper ore, seven tons of pyrite and twelve tons of arsenopyrite. From 1912 to 1918 nine tons of black tin and 3.5cwt of wolfram were recovered.

The pumping engine house (66851), winding engine house (66852) and stamping engine house (66853) are all Listed Grade II.

Wheal Peevor is contained within the World Heritage Site of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-428086, 1476485, 1476489 and 1476511


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
CO 875
Legacy System:


This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].