Wayside cross known as Vellansagia Cross


Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004251.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2021 at 06:39:30.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. Buryan, Lamorna and Paul
National Grid Reference:

Reasons for Designation

Wayside crosses are one of several types of Christian cross erected during the medieval period, mostly from the 9th to 15th centuries AD. In addition to serving the function of reiterating and reinforcing the Christian faith amongst those who passed the cross and of reassuring the traveller, wayside crosses often fulfilled a role as waymarkers, especially in difficult and otherwise unmarked terrain. The crosses might be on regularly used routes linking ordinary settlements or on routes which might have a more specifically religious function, including providing access to religious sites for parishioners and funeral processions. Wayside crosses vary considerably in form and decoration but several regional types have been identified. The Cornish wayside crosses form one such group. The commonest type includes a round, or `wheel', head on the faces of which various forms of cross were carved. The design was sometimes supplemented with a relief figure of Christ. Less common forms include the `Latin' cross, where the cross-head itself is shaped within the arms of an unenclosed cross and, much rarer, the simple slab with a low-relief cross on both faces. Over 400 crosses of all types are recorded in Cornwall. Wayside crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval routeways, settlement patterns and the development of sculptural traditions and their survival is somewhat differential because of periods of religious turbulence during the Reformation when many were subject to damage or partial destruction by iconoclasts. The wayside cross known as Vellansagia Cross survives well and is linked with local folklore regarding its care and maintenance. Its decoration is simple but clearly visible.


The monument includes a wayside cross, situated on the northern side of the minor road from St Buryan via Tregadgwith to Newlyn. The cross survives as a circular socket stone of approximately 1.1m in diameter with a decorated wheel-head and shaft. The cross stands to a height of approximately 1m, and the rectangular section shaft measures 0.3m wide by 0.2m thick. The cross head is decorated on both sides by an incised Latin cross which extends down the shaft.

The cross was first recorded by Blight in 1858 who suggested a small chapel had once stood nearby and by Langdon in 1896. It is believed it was originally located at a ford and is mentioned as a boundary marker in 1582. It has been moved several times before finally being moved to its present location at some time before 1944 by the Revd CB Crofts a former vicar of St Buryan. Local tradition states the cross should not be tampered with and it should be cared for since a previous owner who failed to do so suffered an untimely and grizzly end.

The cross is Listed Grade II (69599).

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-422377


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
CO 812
Legacy System:


This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].