Cist 165m east of Tredinneck Farm

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1004357
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1968
Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Cist 165m east of Tredinneck Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004357 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jun-2019 at 15:46:33.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Madron
National Grid Reference:
SW4464534772

Reasons for Designation

Cists are small rectangular stone structures used for burial purposes and date to the Bronze Age. They are made up of regular stone slabs forming a box-like structure sometimes topped by a larger coverstone. Although usually associated with cairns, ring cairns, cairnfields, barrows and barrow cemeteries, particularly on Dartmoor, for example such short cists form a separate group in their own right. Their longevity, having been in use for a millennium or so, provides insight into the range of ceremonial and ritual practices of the contemporary communities. The cist 165m east of Tredinneck Farm survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, longevity, funerary and ritual practices and overall landscape context.

Details

The monument includes a cist, situated close to the summit of a ridge forming the watershed between the Trevaylor Stream and an unnamed river leading to Newlyn. The cist survives as a buried stone-built rectangular structure measuring approximately 1.4m long by 0.7m wide. It is defined by parallel stone slabs, which protrude slightly above the ground surface and are aligned NNW to SSE. The cist was first recorded as a 'Kistvaen' on the 1908 Ordnance Survey map and described by Beckerlegge in 1944 and the Ordnance Survey in 1960.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-424438

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
CO 664
Legacy System:
RSM - OCN

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].