Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite early partial excavation and re-use, the two bowl barrows 640m south west of Croft Pascoe Pool forming part of a round barrow cemetery survive well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their construction, relative chronologies, territorial significance, social organisation, ritual and funerary practices and overall landscape context.
The monument, which falls into two areas of protection, includes two bowl barrows, which form part of a dispersed round barrow cemetery, and are situated close to the centre of Goonhilly Downs. The barrows survive as circular mounds, surrounded by buried quarry ditches, from which their construction material was derived. The eastern mound measures 25m in diameter and 1.8m high and has a 10m diameter concrete platform built onto the top, possibly the mounting for a field gun. To the east, part of a retaining kerb is visible. The western mound measures 22m in diameter and 1.4m high and has a central excavation hollow. There are also traces of a retaining kerb. An outer ring of stone is the result of stone clearance.
Other barrows which form the cemetery are the subject of separate schedulings.
PastScape Monument No:-426653 and 426659