Medieval hall and St Mary Magdalene's Chapel at Trecarrell

Overview

Heritage Category:
Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number:
1004383
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1959
Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Medieval hall and St Mary Magdalene's Chapel at Trecarrell
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004383 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 12:53:42.

Location

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lezant
National Grid Reference:
SX 31778 78258, SX3174578272

Reasons for Designation

The medieval hall and chapel of Trecarrell Manor are rare, complete and important examples of their types in Cornwall. They form part of a complex of manorial buildings relating to the site's domestic, agricultural and ecclesiastical use and belonged to and were built by an important local man. Pevsner described the hall as "one of the most spectacular domestic buildings of the Middle Ages in Cornwall" and the chapel is also one of the best preserved in the county retaining many of its original features.

Details

The monument, which falls into two areas of protection, includes a medieval hall and chapel situated in the grounds of Trecarrell Manor. The hall survives as a rectangular roofed building of 16th century date with its original arch-braced timbers. The hall has four traceried mullioned, granite-framed windows to the south and two similar windows to the north. The elaborately moulded granite-framed doorway has the coats of arms of Henry Trecarrel and his wife's family (Kelway) carved on the tympanum. It was intended that the south western end would be extended as there is a blocked Tudor fireplace on the outer face of the wall and granite facing blocks still project at the southern corner. This work was abandoned by Henry Trecarrel following the death of his heir in 1511, when he diverted his attention instead to building churches. Henry Trecarrel was mayor of Launceston in 1536 and 1543 and died in 1544.

The chapel survives as a small rectangular building with a restored slate roof but original interior wagon roof and carved roof plate, three traceried windows and a door. It contains many internal features of note including two piscinae, traces of a gallery and springing for a spiral staircase and a garderobe and fireplace at first floor level. Excavations in the chapel in the 1980's produced evidence of the wooden posts used to support the gallery and also for earlier buildings on the site both agricultural and ecclesiastical. Although mainly of 16th century date the chapel incorporates the remains of an earlier medieval chapel. Documents dating to 1383 record a chapel here.

The hall and chapel are both Listed Grade 1 (393656) and (393657).

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-436783 and 436786

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
CO 577
Legacy System:
RSM - OCN

Legal

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].