Multi-span bridge called Trewornan Bridge

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1004484

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1953

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Multi-span bridge called Trewornan Bridge
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004484 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 16:31:11.

Location

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Egloshayle

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Minver Highlands

National Grid Reference: SW 98751 74278

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Multi-span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed throughout the medieval period for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. During the early medieval period timber was used, but from the 12th century stone (and later brick) bridges became more common, with the piers sometimes supported by a timber raft. Most stone or brick bridges were constructed with pointed arches, although semicircular and segmental examples are also known. A common medieval feature is the presence of stone ashlar ribs underneath the arch. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. The roadway was often originally cobbled or gravelled. The building and maintenance of bridges was frequently carried out by the church and by guilds, although landowners were also required to maintain bridges. From the mid-13th century the right to collect tolls, known as pontage, was granted to many bridges, usually for repairs; for this purpose many urban bridges had houses or chapels on them, and some were fortified with a defensive gateway. Despite some repairs, the pretty multi-span bridge called Trewornan Bridge with its medieval design survives well and was regarded by Henderson as the only post-Reformation bridge in Cornwall worth visiting.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a multi-span road bridge which spans the River Amble and its flood plain to the south east of Trewornan Manor. The bridge survives as a four-pointed arched bridge with five cutwaters and refuges on the parapets on each side. It was built in 1791 by Rev William Sandys in a medieval style.

The bridge is Listed Grade II (67667).

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-430984

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: CO 375

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

End of official listing