Foundations N of St Oswald's Church
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004590.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 15:41:37.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Eden (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- NY 72218 04293
Monastic cell, 143m south east of Stepsbeck Bridge.
Reasons for Designation
From the time of St Augustine's mission to re-establish Christianity in AD 597 to the reign of Henry VIII, monasticism formed an important facet of both religious and secular life in the British Isles. Settlements of religious communities, including monasteries, were built to house communities of monks, canons (priests), and sometimes lay brothers, living a common life of religious observance under some form of systematic discipline. It is estimated from documentary evidence that over 700 monasteries were founded in England. These ranged in size from major communities with several hundred members to tiny establishments with a handful of brethren. They belonged to a wide variety of different religious orders, each with its own philosophy. As a result, they vary considerably in the detail of their appearance and layout, although all possess the basic elements of church, domestic accommodation for the community, and work buildings. Monasteries were inextricably woven into the fabric of medieval society, acting not only as centres of worship, learning, and charity, but also, because of the vast landholdings of some orders, as centres of immense wealth and political influence. They were established in all parts of England, some in towns and others in the remotest of areas. Many monasteries acted as the foci of wide networks including parish churches, almshouses, hospitals farming estates and tenant villages. The Gilbertine order, thought to have been the only order to originate in England, was initially established for men and women. The founder, St Gilbert of Sempringham, founded double houses from 1131 until his death in 1189. After this time the houses founded were mainly for canons. Of the total of 29 Gilbertine foundations, 16 were for men. The order originated in Lincolnshire and most of the houses were established in that county, although others were established throughout eastern England. Small numbers of Gilbertine canons sometimes served hospitals, and at Old Malton, Yorkshire, a training and retreat house was established. As a rare type of monastery, all examples retaining significant remains of medieval date are worthy of protection.
Monastic cell 143m south east of Stepsbeck Bridge is reasonably well-preserved as both upstanding remains and buried archaeological deposits. The monument is representative of its period and provides insight into monastic life during the medieval period.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 23 March 2016.This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes the upstanding and buried remains of a monastic cell of medieval date, situated on level ground close to Coldbeck. The upstanding remains stand to a height of approximately 1.5m and include a range constructed from rubble with a small porch and part of a staircase. The remains of windows, doorways and fireplaces are also visible. Partial excavation has revealed that the remainder of the buildings survive as buried foundations. The monument was a Cell of the Gilbertine Cannons of Whatton founded in 1336 and was in use until the dissolution.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- CU 306
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 14792
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing