Reasons for Designation
Rounds are small embanked enclosures, one of a range of settlement types dating to between the later Iron Age and the early post-Roman period. Usually circular or oval, they have a single earth and rubble bank and an outer ditch, with one entrance breaking the circuit. Excavations have produced drystone supporting walls within the bank, paved or cobbled entrance ways, post built gate structures, and remains of timber, turf or stone built houses of oval or rectangular plan, often set around the inner edge of the enclosing bank. Other evidence includes hearths, drains, gullies, pits and rubbish middens. Evidence for industrial activities has been recovered from some sites, including small scale metal working and, among the domestic debris, items traded from distant sources. Some rounds are associated with secondary enclosures, either abutting the round as an annexe or forming an additional enclosure. Rounds are viewed primarily as agricultural settlements, the equivalents of farming hamlets. They were replaced by unenclosed settlement types by the 7th century AD. Over 750 rounds are recorded in the British Isles, occurring in areas bordering the Irish Seas, but confined in England to south west Devon and especially Cornwall. Most recorded examples are sited on hillslopes and spurs. Rounds are important as one of the major sources of information on settlement and social organisation of the Iron Age and Roman periods in south west England. Despite reduction in the height of the rampart through past cultivation, the round 680m east of Gwealavellan Farm survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, longevity, trade, agricultural practices, social organisation, territorial significance, domestic arrangements and overall landscape context.
The monument includes a round, situated on a south-facing slope of a coastal ridge, overlooking the valley of the Red River. The round survives as an oval enclosed area measuring approximately 90m by 60m. It is defined by a 1m high scarp on the southern side and as slight traces of a scarp to the north. All other structures and deposits, including the outer ditch, are preserved as buried features.
The round was first mentioned in a will of 1447. It stands on the now vanished tenement of 'Carlenno', named in 1690. The round appears on the Basset map of 1850.
There is a telegraph pole within the enclosed area which is excluded from the scheduling, but the ground beneath is included.
PastScape Monument No:-426203