Crowdown Clump earthwork (Godsbury)
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Crowdown Clump earthwork (Godsbury)
List entry Number: 1004759
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: Unitary Authority
District Type: Unitary Authority
Parish: Collingbourne Kingston
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 08-Aug-1957
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: WI 532
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Defensive enclosure called Godsbury.
Reasons for Designation
During the mid-prehistoric period (seventh to fifth centuries BC) a variety of different types of defensive structures began to be constructed and occupied .The most obvious sites were hillforts built in prominent locations. In addition to these a range of smaller sites, sometimes with an enclosed area of less than 1ha and defined as defended settlements, were also constructed. Some of these were located on hilltops, others are found in less prominent positions. The enclosing defences were of earthen construction, some sites having a single bank and ditch (univallate), others having more than one (multivallate). At some sites these earthen ramparts represent a second phase of defence, the first having been a timber fence or palisade. Within the enclosure stone or timber-built round houses may have been constructed either for human habitation or to protect livestock. The communities occupying these sites were probably single family groups, the defended enclosures were being used as farmsteads. Construction and use of this type of site extended over several centuries, possibly through to the early Romano-British period (mid to late first century AD). Despite tree growth and some cultivation to the north the defensive enclosure called Godsbury survives comparatively well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, function, longevity, agricultural practices, territorial and economic significance and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 24 September 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
This monument includes a defensive enclosure situated on the summit of a prominent ridge with commanding views across the valley of the River Bourne and within an area of woodland called Crowdown Clump. The enclosure survives as an oval area measuring approximately 93m long by 63m wide internally defined by a single rampart bank standing 0.5m high internally surrounded by a largely buried ditch which has created a scarp of up to 1.2m high on the outer side. The enclosure was documented as ‘Guthredesburg’ in a Saxon charter of 921 AD and called ‘Gosbury’ by 1773.
Wiltshire HER SU25NW615
National Grid Reference: SU 21766 57753
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1004759 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 07:24:20.
End of official listing