Pershore Abbey (site of)
List Entry Summary
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.
Name: Pershore Abbey (site of)
List entry Number: 1005303
The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: District Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first scheduled: 12-Jun-1959
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
UID: WT 260
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Monument
Monastic buildings and associated buried archaeological remains 50m south-west of Abbey Church of the Holy Cross with St. Edburgha.
Reasons for Designation
Early monasteries were built to house communities of monks or nuns; sometimes houses were `mixed' and included both sexes. The main buildings provided facilities for worship, accommodation and subsistence. They included a series of timber halls and perhaps a stone church, all located within some form of enclosure. Benedictine monasticism had its roots in the rule written about AD 530 by St Benedict of Nursia for his own abbey at Monte Cassino. Benedict had not intended to establish an order of monasteries and wider adoption of his rule came only gradually. The first real attempt to form a Benedictine order came only in 1216. The Benedictine monks, who wore dark robes, came to be known as `black monks'. These dark robes distinguished them from Cistercian monks who became known as `white monks' on account of their light coloured robes. Over 150 Benedictine monasteries were founded in England. As members of a highly successful order many Benedictine houses became extremely wealthy and influential. Their wealth can frequently be seen in the scale and flamboyance of their buildings. Benedictine monasteries made a major contribution to many facets of medieval life and all examples exhibiting significant surviving archaeological remains are worthy of protection. Despite partial destruction, excavation, and the construction of road and path surfaces, the monastic buildings and associated buried archaeological remains survive comparatively well as buried features. The monument is of considerable interest with many differing features showing provision for worship and subsistence. The monument will include layers and deposits containing important archaeological information relating to its use and construction.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 20 May 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records. As such they do not yet have the full descriptions of their modernised counterparts available. Please contact us if you would like further information.
This monument includes the monastic buildings of a Benedictine abbey situated on the eastern side of the River Avon at Pershore. The monument survives as the buried foundations of the cloisters, chapter house, southern transept, refectory and calefactory that were constructed of limestone from about 689 with many medieval additions.
The features of this monument are known only from archaeological excavations of 1929 and are represented by buried features within the constraint area.
The site was known as Pershore Abbey and was founded about 689 and refounded into the Benedictine order in 972. The first abbot was appointed in 984 and the abbey was dissolved in 1540.
Parts of the abbey church and further abbey features survive in listed buildings to the north-east of the monument, but are not currently included in the Schedule because they have not been formally assessed.
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Brooks, A, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (2007)
PastScape Monument No:- 118028
National Grid Reference: SO 94766 45750
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005303 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Mar-2018 at 02:05:03.
End of official listing