Moated site, Trilloes Court Wood
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005370 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 14:50:58.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 54708 32293
Moat 205m south east of The Woodlands.
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
Despite past tree growth the moat 205m south east of The Woodlands survives well and will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, maintenance, function, longevity, development, social and economic significance, abandonment and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 28 May 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a moat situated on a gentle north west facing slope at the foot of the steeply sloping southern valley side of a major tributary to the River Wye beside a small stream. The moat survives as a rectangular raised flat topped platform measuring approximately 21m long by 11m wide and surrounded by a ditch of up to 9m wide and 1.8m deep which is partly stream fed to the north and west. To the north is an outer low bank extending up to 3.3m wide.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- HE 164
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
PastScape 110374, Herefordshire SMR 925
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing