Two barrows NW of Little Down
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1005678
Date first listed: 03-Mar-1927
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005678 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 14:39:23.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SU 13327 37386, SU 13367 37386
Two bowl barrows 405m SSW of Strathavon Farmhouse.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Despite partial early excavation, which served to establish differences in burial practices between the barrows they will contain further archaeological and environmental evidence relating to their construction, relative chronologies, territorial significance, social organisation, ritual and funerary practices and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 25 June 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records. As such they do not yet have the full descriptions of their modernised counterparts available. Please contact us if you would like further information.
This monument, which falls into two areas, includes two bowl barrows situated on the summit of the steeply sloping southern valley side of the River Avon. The barrows survive as circular mounds surrounded by visible quarry ditches from which the construction material was derived. Both mounds measure approximately 18m in diameter, 1.5m high and are surrounded by 4m wide ditches of up to 0.7m deep. Both have central excavation hollows and both were the subject of partial excavation by Duke in 1731-2. One barrow produced two secondary urned cremations and the other an inhumation with a spear head. The latter might have been Bronze Age or Anglo-Saxon in date it is not clear from the report which also does not clearly indicate which of the barrows produced which finds.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: WI 188
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape 218265 and 1461386
Wiltshire HER SU13NW645 and SU13NW646
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing