Mound in churchyard
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005680 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:45:10.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- Ogbourne St. Andrew
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 18871 72340
Bowl barrow 165m south-east of Poughcombe Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period. Although much is already known regarding this barrow and its frequent periods of active re-use it will contain further archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, territorial significance, funerary and ritual practices, adaptive and actual re-use and overall landscape context.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 25 June 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records. As such they do not yet have the full descriptions of their modernised counterparts available. Please contact us if you would like further information.
This monument includes a bowl barrow situated to the east of Ogbourne St Andrew church mainly within the churchyard and just above the floodplain in the valley of the River Og. The barrow survives as a circular mound measuring 23m in diameter and 1.6m high surrounded by a buried quarry ditch from which the construction material was derived. There is an excavation hollow in the centre. The subject of excavation by Henry Cunnington Jnr in 1885, the barrow produced a primary Bronze Age cremation, an intrusive Anglo-Saxon inhumation in a wooden coffin with metal clamps and as many as twenty medieval intrusive inhumations from its location and re-use in a churchyard. It has also been identified as a possible motte and it is thought was re-used as a windmill mound.
A 17th century chest tomb stands within the monument on its northern side and this is listed at Grade II.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- WI 199
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
Wiltshire HER SU17SE609
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing