Earthwork NW of Childown Farm on Chobham Common
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1005951
Date first listed: 25-May-1953
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1005951 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 12:27:26.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Surrey Heath (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SU 99394 63896
Triple-banked enclosure, 315m east of Honey Cottage on Chobham Common
Reasons for Designation
Enclosures are man-made works which can date from the Bronze Age to the Post Medieval period. They are usually constructed as a means of protection or demarcation whether for animals or humans and are commonly denoted by banks and/or ditches.
The enclosure at Old Slade, Chobham Common survives well in an area of open heathland with little present day development. As such, the site has a high degree of potential for further archaeological investigation. Despite the uncertainty concerning its identification it is clear that this earthwork is very unusual in form and must be considered of archaeological importance. It is likely that the earthwork will contain archaeological and environmental information relating to the enclosure and the landscape in which it was built.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 17/10/14. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
DESCRIPTION The monument includes a quadrangular earthwork enclosure, denoted by three banks and two ditches. It is situated on gently sloping heathland in a low-lying area of Chobham Common known as ‘Old Slade’. The enclosure measures about 55m NNE to SSW by 64m WNW to ESE and has slightly rounded corners. There is a causeway entrance in the centre of the NNE side and another opposite in the SSW side. The two ‘V’ shaped ditches are 1.2m deep from the top of the bank. On the ESE side the monument has been disturbed by an excavation trench of unknown date. The original use of the earthwork is uncertain although it has been suggested that it may have been a medieval pig enclosure or a defensive work of earlier origin.
Further archaeological remains survive within the vicinity of this monument but are not included because they have not been formally assessed. A possible Roman road running across Chobham Common, to the east of the earthwork, has been identified from aerial photographs.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: SU 71
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
Surrey HER 1857. NMR SU96SE5, SU96SE12. PastScape 250959, 250978.
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing