Earthworks centring on 320yds (300m) NW of the Junction Inn, Efflinch
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006093.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2020 at 12:43:24.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Staffordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 18817 17484
Enclosures, linear ditch and ring ditch 260m south of Fullbrook Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Round barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection.
The enclosures, linear ditch and ring ditch 260m from Fullbrook Farm survive as buried archaeological remains. Although traces of earthworks have been denuded through ploughing, buried archaeological features, artefacts and archaeological and environmental deposits will survive which will provide important information relating both to the monument and the wider landscape in which it was constructed.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 6 July 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes the buried remains of three rectangular enclosures, a linear ditch and a ring ditch situated on a gentle rise of ground just over 2km north of the confluence of the rivers Trent and Tame. At least three rectangular cropmarks, have been identified from aerial photography all defined by a single ditch. One enclosure is centred on SK 1884 1755 and measures externally 8m by 7m, to the west another enclosure is centred on SK 1877 1755 measuring externally 11m by 9m and is enclosed within a larger enclosure, centred at SK 1876 1757, defined only on three sides, one length measuring 28m. To the south, centred at SK 1882 1743, a discontinuous linear feature has been identified, defined by a single ditch, which runs for a length of 70m. Further to the south a circular enclosure has been identified, centred at SK 1877 1739, and is defined by a single ditch measuring externally 13m in diameter which may be the site of Bronze Age barrow.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- ST 209
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
HER: DST5843, NMR: SK11NE17, Pastscape: 9211727 and NMR: SK11NE130, Pastscape: 933209
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing