Two large circular enclosures centring 150m SE of Baggaley's Wood
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006096.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2021 at 15:49:24.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Staffordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 17338 16796
Prehistoric enclosures and field systems 400m north west of Hill cottages.
Reasons for Designation
The prehistoric enclosures 400m north west of Hill Cottages survive as buried archaeological remains which will provide important information relating to the monument’s date, function and use.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 7 July 2015. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes the buried remains of two enclosures situated just over 2km north west of the confluence of the rivers Trent and Tame. A subcircular enclosure with an external diameter of up to 35m has been identified as a cropmark from aerial photography, defined by a single ditch and is centred at SK 1735 1668. The date of the monument has not been confirmed however it is likely to belong to the prehistoric period. Another cropmark has been identified as a linear feature defined by a single ditch running for a length of 140m centred at SK 1738 1691, and may form part of a prehistoric enclosure. Further cropmarks have been identified within the area of protection which may relate to later field systems and enclosures.
The river valleys of the Trent and Tame are known to have been an area of activity during the prehistoric period and north of the confluence of the two rivers appears to have been a focus for the development of a late Neolithic and early Bronze Age ceremonial landscape. Later land divisions, enclosures, settlement, field systems continued in the area mostly of an agrarian existence into the post-medieval period which characterises much of the area still today.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- ST 213
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
HER: DST5595, NMR: SK11NE25, Pastscape: 21735, NMR SK11NE91, Pastscape: 929412 and NMR SK11NE122, Pastscape: 929445
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing