This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Halton medieval settlement

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Halton medieval settlement

List entry Number: 1006406

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Whittington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 19-Jun-1979

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: ND 620

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Medieval rural settlements in England were marked by great regional diversity in form, size and type, and the protection of their archaeological remains needs to take these differences into account. To do this, England has been divided into three broad Provinces on the basis of each area's distinctive mixture of nucleated and dispersed settlements. These can be further divided into sub-Provinces and local regions, possessing characteristics which have gradually evolved during the last 1500 years or more. The Northumbrian Plain local region is an extensive, undulating lowland. Its landscape bears many signs of agrarian improvement and reconstruction in the 18th and 19th centuries, including rectangular fields and post-medieval dispersed farmsteads. The earthworks of deserted and shrunken village settlements and the ridge and furrow of former arable townfields indicate the pattern of medieval, `pre-improvement' agrarian and settlement structures. Medieval villages were organised agricultural communities, sited at the centre of a parish or township, that shared resources such as arable land, meadow and woodland. Village plans varied enormously, but when they survive as earthworks their most distinguishing features include roads and minor tracks, platforms on which stood houses and other buildings such as barns, enclosed crofts and small enclosed paddocks. They frequently included the parish church within the their boundaries, and as part of the manorial system most villages included one or more manorial centres which may also survive as visible remains as well as below ground deposits. In the central province of England, villages were the most distinctive aspect of medieval life, and their archaeological remains are one of the most important sources of understanding about rural life in the five or more centuries following the Norman conquest. The shrunken medieval settlement of Halton is well preserved and retains significant archaeological deposits. The village is a good example which taken together with the adjacent listed tower and church will add greatly to our knowledge and understanding of medieval settlement in the region.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of a medieval shrunken settlement surrounding a surviving group of buildings forming part of the shrunken settlement of Halton. The remains are visible as a series of earthworks and are divided into three separate areas of protection. The first and more northerly area contains the remains of a number of rectangular enclosures with a series of house platforms at their west end. The second area of protection to the south contains a second group of rectangular enclosures and to the south of this there is another group of enclosures, some of which are defined by level platforms that are considered to represent crofts. The third and most westerly area of protection contains part of the former village green. During the 13th century the manor of Halton was held by the family of Halton and it was during this century that the village reached its high point. Records show that by 1296 the number of tax paying residents had started to contract and the lordship was laid to waste by the Scots in 1385; by 1719 the village had shrunk to only two farms.

SOURCES PastScape Monument No:- 18278 NMR:- NY96NE39 Northumberland HER:- 8672

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 99817 67800, NY 99877 67723, NY 99879 67857

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006406 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2017 at 10:18:35.

End of official listing