This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Eshott Castle fortified house

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Eshott Castle fortified house

List entry Number: 1006475

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Thirston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 19-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: ND 423

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Fortified houses were residences belonging to some of the richest and most powerful members of society. Their design reflects a combination of domestic and military elements. In some instances, the fortifications may be cosmetic additions to an otherwise conventional high status dwelling, giving a military aspect while remaining practically indefensible. They are associated with individuals or families of high status and their ostentatious architecture often reflects a high level of expenditure. The nature of the fortification varies, but can include moats, curtain walls, a gatehouse and other towers, gunports and crenellated parapets. Their buildings normally included a hall used as communal space for domestic and administrative purposes, kitchens, service and storage areas. In later houses the owners had separate private living apartments, these often receiving particular architectural emphasis. In common with castles, some fortified houses had outer courts beyond the main defences in which stables, brew houses, granaries and barns were located. Fortified houses were constructed in the medieval period, primarily between the 15th and 16th centuries, although evidence from earlier periods, such as the increase in the number of licences to crenellate in the reigns of Edward I and Edward II, indicates that the origins of the class can be traced further back. As a rare monument type, with fewer than 200 identified examples, all examples exhibiting significant surviving archaeological remains are considered of national importance. Eshott Castle fortified house survives well and is a rare survival of this form of medieval settlement in Northumberland. It is well documented and will add to our knowledge and understanding of the wide variety of medieval fortified structures.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes the remains of a moated fortified house of medieval date, situated at the confluence of Longdike Burn and Eshott Burn. It is visible as a sub-rectangular enclosure measuring approximately 55m east to west by 44m north to south. The enclosure is surrounded by a moat with an approximate width of 6m, which is visible as a slight earthwork on the north and west sides and a well-defined earthwork on its east and south sides. The south side retains the remains of a causewayed entrance. Within the interior of the enclosure there are the remains of low earthworks. On July 22nd 1310 the king granted a licence to Roger Mauduit to crenellate his dwelling house at Eshott. In 1358 the castle was granted to his son and in 1415 the owner was recorded as Sir John Heroun when it was listed as 'Castrum de Eshete'.

SOURCES PastScape Monument No:- 23389 NMR:- NZ19NE1 Northumberland HER:- 11344

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 20015 98604

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006475 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 01:29:56.

End of official listing