Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1006549
Date first listed: 28-Nov-1932
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006549 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Mar-2019 at 06:44:33.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: NU 01844 29472
Weetwood Bridge, 311m south east of Weetwood Hall.
Reasons for Designation
Medieval and early post-medieval single span bridges are structures designed to carry a road or track over a river by means of a single arch. They were constructed throughout the medieval period, most commonly using timber. Stone began to be used instead of timber in the 12th century and became increasingly common in the 14th and 15th centuries. Many medieval bridges were repaired, modified or extensively rebuilt in the post- medieval period. During the medieval period the construction and maintenance of bridges was frequently carried out by large estates and the Church, especially monastic institutions which developed long distance packhorse routes between their landholdings. Some stone built medieval bridges still survive. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. Bridges were common and important features of medieval towns and the countryside and allowed easy access along a well developed road and trackway system. A larger number retain significant medieval or post-medieval remains, allowing the original form of the bridge to be determined. These examples are nationally important.
Weetwood Bridge retains evidence of several constructional phases detailing its development and repair since the 16th century. It is believed to have been built by the owners of Weetwood Hall and would have served as a significant feature on the approach to the hall from the south east.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 16 May 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a single span bridge of 16th century date with 18th century alterations, spanning the River Till south east of Weetwood Hall. The structure is a single span hog-backed bridge with a total length of approximately 112m. It is constructed from a variety of different types of masonry including grey sandstone ashlar and pink sandstone. The single arch is of segmental form with a flush arch-ring and spans roughly 21.2m. The arch is flanked by pilaster buttresses containing round-headed niches. The abutment is longer on the north west side due to the difference in height of the approach road. The bridge is topped by a parapet with chamfered coping and a square-section band at the base. On the outer sections of the abutments the band is carried on moulded corbels. One of the buttresses on the south side contains an inscription of 1775. The presence of different building materials suggests that the bridge has been subject to several phases of construction. Its form suggests that it was originally constructed in the 16th century but has had several phases of reconstruction with the addition of buttresses in 1775. Weetwood Bridge is a listed building Grade I.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: ND 138
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 5706
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing