Market cross


Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1006576

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1932


Ordnance survey map of Market cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006576 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Mar-2019 at 22:35:04.


The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stamfordham

National Grid Reference: NZ 07772 72072


Market cross, 215m west of Hall.

Reasons for Designation

A market cross was a structure used to mark a market square. As such it was a central point important in any village or town. The Market cross, 215m west of Hall is well-preserved and the structure is intact including its original roof timbers. The structure of the monument and the ground beneath it will contain archaeological information relating to its construction and use.


See Details.


This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 16 May 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes a market cross of 18th century situated on Stamfordham village green. The market cross, also known as Butter Cross, is a small square single storey building approximately 4m by 4m in plan. The building is constructed from ashlar masonry and has a slate roof. It has a square pillar at each corner supporting a round arch on each side. The pillars have alternate courses of stone projecting slightly to form banded rustication. The roof retains its original roof timbers and is pyramidal and is topped by a square stone which has a date and worn inscription on a shield on its east side, a sundial on the south side and blocked arches on the remaining two sides. The square stone also has a small pyramidal roof topped with a ball finial and vane. The market cross was constructed in 1735. It is a listed building Grade II.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: ND 125

Legacy System: RSM - OCN


PastScape Monument No:- 20836

End of official listing