Wayside cross known as Peverell's Cross

Overview

Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument

List Entry Number: 1006641

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1932

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Map

Ordnance survey map of Wayside cross known as Peverell's Cross
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006641 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 14:15:37.

Location

Location Description: Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Blisland

National Grid Reference: SX 12504 72230

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Bodmin Moor, the largest of the Cornish granite uplands, has long been recognised to have exceptional preservation of archaeological remains. The Moor has been the subject of detailed archaeological survey and is one of the best recorded upland landscapes in England. The extensive relict landscapes of prehistoric, medieval and post-medieval date provide direct evidence for human exploitation of the Moor from the earliest prehistoric period onwards. The well-preserved and often visible relationship between settlement sites, field systems, ceremonial and funerary monuments as well as later industrial remains provides significant insights into successive changes in the pattern of land use through time. Wayside crosses are one of several types of Christian cross erected during the medieval period, mostly from the 9th to 15th centuries AD. In addition to serving the function of reiterating and reinforcing the Christian faith amongst those who passed the cross and of reassuring the traveller, wayside crosses often fulfilled a role as waymarkers, especially in difficult and otherwise unmarked terrain. The crosses might be on regularly used routes linking ordinary settlements or on routes which might have a more specifically religious function, including providing access to religious sites for parishioners and funeral processions. Wayside crosses vary considerably in form and decoration but several regional types have been identified. The Cornish wayside crosses form one such group. The commonest type includes a round, or `wheel', head on the faces of which various forms of cross were carved. The design was sometimes supplemented with a relief figure of Christ. Less common forms include the `Latin' cross, where the cross-head itself is shaped within the arms of an unenclosed cross and, much rarer, the simple slab with a low-relief cross on both faces. Over 400 crosses of all types are recorded in Cornwall. Of the 35 surviving on Bodmin Moor, 21 are recorded as wayside crosses. Wayside crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval routeways, settlement patterns and the development of sculptural traditions. The wayside cross known as Peverell's Cross remains in its original position and was originally associated with the crossing of two ancient trackways. It was also used as a boundary marker between both parishes and manors, indicating its continued significance historically as a well known landmark. It will retain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its erection, date and function as well as its overall landscape context.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a wayside cross, situated on the north side of the A30 on Trehudreth Downs, at the boundary between the parishes of Blisland and Cardinham. The cross survives as a decorated wheel-headed cross on a long shaft set into a hedge. The cross stands to a height of 1.7m and the head is decorated on both faces with an equal armed cross in relief. The letter 'G' is incised into the lower limb of the cross and relates to its use as a boundary marker in the past when it also indicated the manor boundaries of Trehudreth and Barlandew. Peverell's Cross is said to have been named after the Peverell family of Park in Egoshayle who died out in the early 15th century. Hals (1655 - 1737) mentions two crosses set up by this family in Blisland. Henderson notes a bound stone called 'White Cross' in a document of 1613 which may be this cross. Although originally in open common Langdon noted in 1896 that following recent enclosure of the moor it had been incorporated into a hedge, although it originally had marked the point of a crossing between two ancient tracks. The cross appears to survive in its original location.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-433839

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: CO 203

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

End of official listing