Reasons for Designation
Rounds are small embanked enclosures, one of a range of settlement types dating to between the later Iron Age and the early post-Roman period. Usually circular or oval, they have a single earth and rubble bank and an outer ditch, with one entrance breaking the circuit. Excavations have produced drystone supporting walls within the bank, paved or cobbled entrance ways, post built gate structures, and remains of timber, turf or stone built houses of oval or rectangular plan, often set around the inner edge of the enclosing bank. Other evidence includes hearths, drains, gullies, pits and rubbish middens. Evidence for industrial activities has been recovered from some sites, including small scale metal working and, among the domestic debris, items traded from distant sources. Some rounds are associated with secondary enclosures, either abutting the round as an annexe or forming an additional enclosure. Rounds are viewed primarily as agricultural settlements, the equivalents of farming hamlets. They were replaced by unenclosed settlement types by the 7th century AD. Over 750 rounds are recorded in the British Isles, occurring in areas bordering the Irish Seas, but confined in England to south west Devon and especially Cornwall, where many more examples may await discovery. Most recorded examples are sited on hillslopes and spurs. Rounds are important as one of the major sources of information on settlement and social organisation of the Iron Age and Roman periods in south west England. Despite the construction of several buildings and a garden within the round 250m west of Flushing Cove, it will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, use, domestic arrangements, trade, agricultural practices and overall landscape context.
The monument includes a round situated on a small, low headland on the southern bank of the Gillan Creek. The round survives as a circular enclosure, approximately 60m in diameter, defined by a 1.8m high bank with a buried outer ditch to the south and a 3m high scarp with slight terrace to the north.
First depicted on a map of 1780 and called 'the castle', Polwhele referred to it as the 'The Round' or 'Castle' and Thomas in 1851 described it as a fort of about 1 acre. A house was built inside it by the 1930's and this was replaced by a new house in 1968.
Within the enclosure are a number of modern buildings driveways and associated outbuildings with gardens. These are excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath is included.
PastScape Monument No:-426991