This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Portal dolmen known as West Lanyon Quoit, 380m south west of Lanyon Farm

List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Portal dolmen known as West Lanyon Quoit, 380m south west of Lanyon Farm

List entry Number: 1006698

Location

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

The monument may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Madron

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: Not applicable to this List entry.

Date first scheduled: 14-Dec-1926

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: RSM - OCN

UID: CO 57

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Monument

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Portal dolmens are funerary and ceremonial monuments of the Early and Middle Neolithic period, the dated examples showing construction in the period 3500- 2600 BC. As burial monuments of Britain's early farming communities, they are among the oldest visible field monuments to survive in the present landscape. Where sufficiently well-preserved, they comprise a small closed rectangular chamber built from large stone slabs, with free-standing stones flanking the frontal slab of the chamber. A capstone, often massive, covers the chamber, and some examples show traces of a low cairn or platform around the chamber. Some sites have traces of a kerb around the cairn and certain sites show a forecourt area, edged by a facade of upright stones in a few examples. Little is yet known about the form of the primary burial rites. At the few excavated sites, pits and postholes have been recorded within and in front of the chamber, containing charcoal and cremated bone; some chamber contents of soil and stones may be original blocking deposits. Many portal dolmens were re-used for urned cremations, especially during the Middle Bronze Age. Only about 20 portal dolmens are known nationally, concentrated in west Penwith, Cornwall, and in the north-west Oxfordshire Cotswolds, with a scatter between these. They represent one of the few surviving field monument types of the Neolithic period, are rare, of considerable age and longevity of construction and use. Despite the loss of most of the surrounding mound, the removal of some of the stones and partial early excavation, a great deal of information is already know about the portal dolmen known as West Lanyon Quoit 380m south west of Lanyon Farm. Archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, longevity and landscape context will still survive.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The monument includes a portal dolmen situated on a low ridge, overlooking the upper Lamorna River. The portal dolmen survives as an upright stone measuring 1.6m high and 1.5m wide with a 4.1m long and 2.6m wide capstone leaning against it. It was first recorded in 1803 prior to which there had been a large 'bank of earth and stones'. The bank was being systematically removed in 1790. When the chamber was discovered, it appears to have been rectangular in plan with an open north eastern end; the capstone had already slipped off to the south. Borlase reported that a mass of ashes, a broken urn and at a lower level a jumbled human skeleton were found along with bronze and copper objects which were taken by the workmen. Two sides of the chamber were removed between 1820 and 1861 and the large stones were cut and used for building. Thomas believes that the finds related to a secondary use of the structure probably in the Early Bronze Age. Other archaeological remains in the vicinity are the subject of separate schedulings.

Sources: HER:- PastScape Monument No:-424283

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 42311 33781

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1006698 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 11:03:46.

End of official listing