Moated site 1/4 mile (400m) NE of Cockbridge
- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007133 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 13:16:05.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Allerdale (District Authority)
- Allerdale (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- NY 20248 41299
Moated site, 440m north east of Cock Bridge.
Reasons for Designation
Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.
The moated site 440m north east of Cock Bridge is well-preserved as an earthwork. The monument is representative of its period and will contain archaeological deposits relating to its construction, use and abandonment. In addition, features such as the moat ditch will contain environmental deposits relating to the use of the surrounding landscape and information on earlier land use will be preserved within soils buried beneath the artificially raised ground.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 29 March 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes the remains of a medieval moated site situated on level ground north east of the River Ellen. The moat, which is 15m wide and about 2m deep, encloses a square platform measuring just over 20m square. The upcast from the moat has been thrown up on both sides raising the height of the enclosed platform and creating an outer bank, which is preserved as a 2m to 3m high earthwork on the south west side.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- CU 372
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 10000
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing