Roman milestone near Middleton vicarage
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1007175
Date first listed: 26-Jun-1924
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007175 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 03:25:53.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: South Lakeland (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SD 62263 85884
Roman Milestone, 345m north east of Abba Farm.
Reasons for Designation
Roman milestones were generally stone pillars with Latin inscriptions set up when a road was first constructed or when it was repaired. The inscriptions usually give the distance to the next, named, town. They also give the name of the reigning emperor and the particular year of his reign in which the milestone was erected, thus allowing milestones to be accurately dated. Later emperors were often commemorated by a second inscription added to the existing milestone, or by a milestone set up nearby. Later examples from the 3rd and 4th centuries AD seem to have been erected for propaganda purposes and they usually give only the emperor's name and titles. Although the Roman road network was extensive in England, serving both military and economic needs, and although many survive in museums, milestones in their original locations are comparatively rare, with only around fifty examples recorded. As a rare monument class, all surviving examples will be considered to be of national importance.
The Roman Milestone 345m north east of Abba Farm is reasonably well-preserved and is representative of its period. The monument provides insight into the Roman road system and its importance both militarily and economically.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 23 March 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes the remains of a milestone of Roman date, situated close to the former route of the Roman road from Ribchester to Low Borrow Bridge. The milestone is cylindrical with a diameter of 0.45m and a height of 1.7m. The stone bears the inscription ‘M.P.L.III’ with a second inscription that records it re-erection in 1836 after the stone was found buried. The milestone is a Listed Building Grade II*.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: CU 267
Legacy System: RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 44073
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing