- Heritage Category:
- Scheduled Monument
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007209.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 11:49:32.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Lakeland (District Authority)
- South Lakeland (District Authority)
- Kirkby Lonsdale
- National Park:
- YORKSHIRE DALES
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 61548 78236
Reasons for Designation
Multi span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed throughout the medieval period for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. During the early medieval period timber was used, but from the 12th century stone (and later brick) bridges became more common, with the piers sometimes supported by a timber raft. Most stone or brick bridges were constructed with pointed arches, although semi-circular and segmental examples are also known. A common medieval feature is the presence of stone ashlar ribs underneath the arch. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. The roadway was often originally cobbled or gravelled. The building and maintenance of bridges was frequently carried out by the church and by guilds, although landowners were also required to maintain bridges. From the mid-13th century the right to collect tolls, known as pontage, was granted to many bridges, usually for repairs; for this purpose many urban bridges had houses or chapels on them, and some were fortified with a defensive gateway. Medieval multi span bridges must have been numerous throughout England, but most have been rebuilt or replaced and less than 200 examples are now known to survive. As a rare monument type largely unaltered, surviving examples and examples that retain significant medieval and post- medieval fabric are considered to be of national importance.
Despite some repairs the Devil’s Bridge is well-preserved and is one of the finest examples of a later medieval bridge in northern England. The structure of the bridge, including its footings, will contain archaeological deposits relating to its construction and use. The monument is a good example of its type and it provides insight into the importance of transport networks and river crossings during the late medieval period.
This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 01 March 2016. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.
The monument includes a multi span bridge of later medieval date, spanning the River Lune north east of Kirkby Lonsdale. The bridge is constructed from coursed dressed square stone blocks and has three unequal segmental arches, each with four large ribs and three chamfers. The bridge is topped by a parapet with a single string course and two semi-octagonal refuges on either side, which stand above two piers with triangular cutwaters. At the east end of the bridge a sundial bears an inscription with the date of 1663, however the bridge is understood to have been constructed in the 15th century or early 16th century. A grant of pontage was given for the site in 1275 and 1365; the current bridge was built to replace these earlier bridges. The bridge originally carried the Kendal to Skipton road but was relieved by a new bridge in the 1930s. Devil's Bridge is a listed building at Grade I.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- CU 180
- Legacy System:
- RSM - OCN
PastScape Monument No:- 43977
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing