Bowl barrow on Wildmoor, 200m north-east of the Shooting Box.
Heritage Category: Scheduled Monument
List Entry Number: 1007340
Date first listed: 17-Oct-1930
Date of most recent amendment: 12-Oct-1993
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1007340 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 19:11:36.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: SO 42286 95542
Reasons for Designation
Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
Despite some limited disturbance, the barrow 200m north-east of the Shooting Box survives well as a good example of this class of round barrow. It will retain archaeological deposits and environmental evidence from the old land surface sealed beneath the barrow and from the ditch fill. It is one of several such monuments on the Long Mynd and, as such, contributes information relating to the intensity of settlement and the nature of land use in this area of upland during the Bronze Age.
The monument includes the remains of a substantial bowl barrow situated on a
prominent hilltop overlooking land falling to the east. The barrow is visible
as a well defined circular mound of angular rock and earth construction with a
diameter of 21.3m and standing up to 1.6m high. The summit of the barrow has
been disturbed by exploration at some time in the past so that today it has
the form of a dished hollow 3.7m in diameter and 0.7m deep. Although no longer
visible as a surface feature, a ditch, from which material was quarried during
the construction of the mounument, surrounds the mound. This has become
infilled over the years but survives as a buried feature some 2m wide.
MAP EXTRACT The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract. It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features, considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 19098
Legacy System: RSM
This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
End of official listing